Are you wondering what you need for the hospital once it’s baby go time? Here is my essentials list!
You can adjust quantities depending how long you are staying. If you are having a vaginal birth you are typically in the hospital only 24-48 hours. A C-section requires a longer stay, usually about 4 days.
This list has a bit of a “Natural Mama” touch to it as I recommend few things that the hospital does have but the ingredients are not Tessa approved (like baby wash).
Have your bag ready to go by 36 weeks just in case baby makes an early debut!
Paperwork you need:
- Your birth plan. Keep it to one page. Mama Natural’s customizable template is super easy with pictures.
- Copy of pre-registration papers
- Insurance card
- Chapstick! Trust me, you’ll want it.
- Hair Ties
- Snacks and drinks
- Electrolyte Drinks like coconut water or Labor-Aid if you have time to make it
- Protein Bars, Honey Sticks
- Essential Oils. Peppermint for Nausea, Orange to Energize and Lavender to calm. (You won’t want to put these directly on you but simply smell them in case you develop an aversion to them during labor)
- Music. Create a few playlist of whatever you think you’ll want to listen to during labor.
- Clothes to labor in. Comfortable and loose is key.
- 40 Blinks Eye Mask (a hynobirthing favorite)
- Separate cooler if you are encapsulating your placenta
- Optional: Snacks for Nurses as a thank you. We brought BarkThins. Don’t stress about this too much.
For the Hospital Stay:
- Face Wash
- Face Lotion
- Body Lotion
- Phone Charger
- Natural Remedies: Arnica Tablets (to help tissue heal), After Ease (to help postpartum cramping), Sitz Bath Spray * (to help discomfort down there)
- Natural Calm to help prevent constipation
- Nipple Cream*. Yes the hospital has this but who knows what brands they use.
- Healthy Snacks
- Comfortable loose clothes that are nursing friendly:
- Underwear (dark, comfortable and full butt) only 1 pair as ideally you can use the hospital mesh underwear. Highly recommend trying to take home as many mesh underwear as possible.
- Your own pillow. I brought a small one last time and was happy I did
- Baby Wipes & Diapers. These are provided by the hospital but the ones they use aren’t non-toxic. Honest, Bamboo, Parasol are a few good brands.
- Baby Wash if you want to give baby a bath. Might be a good option if you had a C-section and will be in the hospital for a number of days
- Coconut Oil. Just a little jar of this to put on baby’s bum to help their “tar poops” not stick so badly
- Blanket/Swaddle (organic cotton)
- Hat or Headband (organic cotton)
- One outfit for baby to go home in and/or take pictures in if you want to do that. Baby will be naked in a diaper and swaddle the whole time for skin to skin. Monica + Andy, Finn + Emma, Burt’s Bees are a few good organic cotton brands. Avoid anything with a zipper down the middle as the belly button will be a scab.
- Car seat! You have to show it to the staff before you leave the hospital
For Your Partner:
- They will need to pack their own bag with clothes and toiletries too!
**Use BALANCEDTOAT20 for 20% off at MotherLove.com